You really never know what is coming next in life. That makes it difficult to plan out what you might do in a year, or even a month. (Sometimes the next week!)
But it’s not a bad thing to have a plan. A “if-everything-works-out”, best-case scenario.
In mine, I will read at least 24 new books in the coming year. (Not counting the Bible, and/or books of the Bible, which I do plan to read again in 2012, too.)
Typing that makes it sound less impressive (and less insurmountable) than it usually feels.
My goal is to finish at least a couple books a month. The issue is, many of the books on my current reading (or “to read”) list are the 800-1200 page variety.
Yes, I am slightly crazy. But mostly, I just love learning about people, events, history, places, things. And I do just love to read.
Here’s a look at what’s currently on my reading radar screen:
- *Being George Washington – Glenn Beck
- *Original Argument (a modern translation of the Federalist Papers)
- Steve Jobs – Walter Isaacson
- Never Give In! The Best of Winston Churchill Speeches – Winston S. Churchill
- Woodrow Wilson and the Roots of Modern Liberalism – Ronald J. Pestritto
- Choosing to SEE – Mary Beth Chapman
- The First Commandment – Brad Thor
- Spilled Milk – Michael J. Scott
- *The Introvert Advantage – Marti Olsen Laney
- *One Thousand Gifts – Ann Voskamp
- 7 Tipping Points That Saved The World – Chris and Ted Stewart
- Sacred Fire – Peter A. Lillback
- For You They Signed – Marilyn Boyer
- Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy – Eric Metaxas
- Several C.S. Lewis books
I am realizing as I make this list that such a list would be far too exhaustive. I have way more than 24 books in mind but I think those above are the next dozen or so in the queue, even if they are not entirely in the order I plan to read them in. I am also very good at fitting other stuff in along the way! For example, I’ll probably pick up the next book in the Brad Thor/Scot Harvath series. (I’m reading through his older stuff after reading Full Black this past fall.) And I am also planning to complete the Lord of the Rings trilogy with my boys in 2012.
Basically, it’s going to be a very well-read year, if things go according to plan!
If you’d like to see more books I am reading, plan to read, have read, you can sit and watch the little changing book image in the right sidebar (each one is clickable). Or, you can just visit the page(s) created by the Now Reading plugin for WordPress that I use to organize all this stuff.
I’d love for anyone reading, this to read along with me on some or even all of these books. (It would be a bit strange if you liked all the same books as me…) 🙂 And, if you have any that you’d recommend I add, please suggest them in the comments.
May 2012 bring you many blessings from God (true blessings may not always seem to be blessings at the time) and many great moments along the way, from books and otherwise.